Brittany Hockley has claimed she “doesn’t believe for a second” that Married At First Sight’s casting agents didn’t realize that disapproved groom Simon Blackburn had posted hateful TikTok videos online before signing him up for the show.
On Thursday, The Bachelor star, 32, discussed the scandal with her Life Uncut co-host Laura Byrne — days after it was revealed Blackburn had been pulled from the series after his despicable TikTok rants against women and gays resurfaced.
During the chat, reality TV veteran Brittany said, “People are screaming they want drama on reality TV. Where’s the line?
Bombshell statement: Brittany Hockley (right) has claimed she ‘doesn’t believe a second’ Married At First Sight casting agents were unaware that murdered groom Simon Blackburn had posted hateful TikTok videos before signing up for the show. In the picture with Laura Byrne
“This person has gone 100 percent too far, and Channel Nine casting this person has gone too far.
Channel Nine has said they didn’t know his thoughts were so prominent, they didn’t know he was – I mean, that’s bullshit as casting takes a deep dive into every person they cast.
“That’s why they cast them. They know everything about them, they know if there are connections, they know what their political views are, their beliefs.’
Gone: Simon Blackburn, a groom from the upcoming season of Married At First Sight, was removed from the show last week after a series of videos of him surfaced using despicable homophobic and misogynistic language
She continued, “The whole reason you’re cast on a show is because you’re there to be the really normal person who’s going to have a successful relationship, or because you’re the one there for controversy and drama.
“I don’t believe for a moment that casting agents didn’t know because it takes you two seconds to look at his page to find it. Unless they threw him blindfolded, they knew what it was about.’
In a statement to Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday, Channel Nine said: ‘When unacceptable social media content was discovered relating to Simon Blackburn, we took immediate steps to remove him from the programme.
“We will not comment further.”
“I don’t believe for a moment that casting agents didn’t know because it takes you two seconds to look at his page to find it. Unless they threw him blindfolded, they knew what it was about,” Brittany said
But Brittany believes he was only removed because of the massive response seen online, adding: “They have said they are going to remove him purely because thousands of people have already said, ‘I’m done, I’m not watching the show “.”
Laura went on to discuss how problematic it is to sign someone with such despicable views on such a highly watched show as Married at First Sight.
“When we put someone on a reality TV show, whether they’re there to cause controversy or drama, to be the villain or to have the real love story, we’re still platforming that person,” she said. said.
Dumped: Blackburn was featured in an early trailer for the reality dating show, but a Nine spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday night that he had been removed after the network was made aware of his sick TikTok tirades circulating online
“And if that person’s views are misogynistic or homophobic, it can do a lot of damage by empowering other people in society who hold the same views.”
“They feel empowered that there are other people who believe what they believe.”
Brittany reiterated: ‘Voicing someone’s opinion that is so dangerous and toxic at that level should never be allowed to happen. Certainly not in 2022.’
Blackburn was featured in an untelevised trailer for MAFS, but a spokesperson for Nine confirmed he had been removed from the program after the network was made aware of his behavior.
While Endemol Shine Australia, the production company behind MAFS, has conducted extensive background and criminal investigations, Blackburn may not have disclosed his Twitter and TikTok accounts during his application.
During a vicious livestream, Blackburn described homosexuality as “filth.”
Shocking: An embarrassing TikTok video showed Blackburn making misogynistic comments about a woman he had previously dated. He claimed she would “sit on YouTube all day” instead of making money and repeatedly called her the C-word
Another embarrassing TikTok video showed Blackburn making misogynistic comments about a woman he previously dated.
He claimed she would “sit on YouTube all day” instead of making money and repeatedly called her the C-word.
Another video saw him discuss how he matched up with a woman on dating app Hinge, who later texted him to say she didn’t think she was his type.
He then boasted that he didn’t date women “over 60 pounds.”
Blackburn did not respond to Daily Mail Australia’s request for comment, but appeared to address his departure from the show on Tuesday by sharing a post on his private Instagram profile with the caption: “Leave the past in the past.”
He also asked people to stop messaging him about the videos because he is suffering from Covid-19.
He said: ‘Just to clarify, I haven’t posted anything on TikTok in six months and all of my videos are reposts or screenshots of lives from last year! Not my current thoughts or mindset!
‘No further comment will be made! I have Covid, let me rest!’
Response: Blackburn did not respond to our request for comment, but appeared to be raising awareness of his departure from the show on Tuesday by sharing this post on his private Instagram profile. The father of two also asked people to stop messaging him about the videos because he has Covid-19