‘I’m in top health and singing at my best’: Elton John, 75, denies being in a weak condition after being pictured in a wheelchair – saying ‘there was an extremely long walk and I just rested my hip’
Elton John took to Instagram on Thursday to insist he is in good health after being pictured as weak in a wheelchair after a fall.
The 75-year-old shared a photo of himself on stage and wrote: “I want to thank all my fans for contacting me to ask about my health. “The true story is that I am in top health, love my shows and play and sing at my best. I give 100% every night and never want to disappoint, especially after everyone has waited so long to see shows again. Your response to every show has been phenomenal and I love every minute of it.”
“After another smashing 2.5 hour show, we arrived at Leipzig airport just before curfew and found that part of the airport was closed,” the superstar explained. “It was an extremely long walk to get to the plane, so my team was kind enough to get into a wheelchair so I could rest my hip after doing the show. That’s all folks.’
The superstar recently took a break from his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour after battling multiple ailments. And the Gucci-clad singer was branded feeble when he arrived at Leipzig airport in a wheelchair on Friday, before returning home to Nice after his show. Elton will perform alongside Queen and Diana Ross at the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee concert on Saturday in a pre-recorded performance.
His European tour continues this month. In 2019, Elton revealed that he was using a wheelchair after a sprained ankle. From Florence he said: ‘Even a sprained ankle couldn’t stop me from visiting one of the most beautiful museums in the world.’
The latest outing comes as Elton announced his own curated lineup for his massive BST Hyde Park show on June 24. The artists playing have been personally selected by Elton himself and include Rina Sawayama, Gabriels, Let’s Eat Grandma, Berwyn, Thomas Headon, Tom A Smith and Juanita Euka.
Last month, Elton confirmed he was ready to return to work on his tour after taking a break to recover from an “uncomfortable fall.” He took to Instagram on Friday to reveal that he will be back on stage after a ‘quiet break at home’ to wrap up his long string of farewell shows.
The hitmaker decided to retire after this tour so he could spend more time with his filmmaker, husband David Furnish, 58, and their two sons, Zachary, 11, and Elijah, 9. The Farewell Yellow Brick Road concerts were postponed after Covid struck but resumed early last year.
The show was canceled again after the star revealed he had “significant pain and discomfort” in his hip after a nasty fall on a hard surface. He said of his “great grief” last year: “I fell awkwardly on a hard surface and have had a lot of pain and discomfort in my hip ever since.”
Alongside the clip, he wrote: ‘It is with great sadness and heavy heart that I am forced to postpone the 2021 dates of my Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour in Europe and the UK to 2023’. The legendary singer was also forced to cancel shows earlier this year due to a positive test for Covid.