Latest Breaking News & Hot Updates Around USA OR All Over World

Italy asks Brazil to extradite footballer Robinho to serve sentence for gang rape in Milan

0 5

Italy has asked Brazil to extradite football star Robinho to nine years in prison for the gang rape of an Albanian woman at a Milan nightclub.

The former Manchester City star, 38, was convicted in 2019 for assaulting the 23-year-old in 2013 when he played for AC Milan.

Brazil international, real name Robson De Souza, has appealed the conviction, but it has been upheld by several Italian courts, including the Supreme Court of Cassation in January this year.

Now the Italian Justice Ministry has written a request to Brazil to extradite Robinho, along with his friend Ricardo Falco who was also convicted in the case.

The Brazilian constitution does not allow their citizens to be extradited from their home countries.

Italy has asked Brazil to extradite football star Robinho (pictured) to nine years in prison for the gang rape of an Albanian woman at a Milan nightclub

The former Manchester City star, 38, was convicted in 2019 for assaulting a 213-year-old in January 2013 while playing for AC Milan (pictured in March 2013)

The former Manchester City star, 38, was convicted in 2019 for assaulting a 213-year-old in January 2013 while playing for AC Milan (pictured in March 2013)

After the charges were filed, a Brazilian newspaper revealed the contents of wiretapped phone conversations the footballer had with friends, including one in which he tries to laugh off the charges.

“I laugh because I don’t care,” you heard Robinho say. ‘The woman was completely drunk. She doesn’t even know what happened.’

The charges date back to 2013, when Robinho was 28 years old and played in Serie A for AC Milan.

On the night of January 22, the football player and a group of at least six people, including his wife, had been drinking at nightclub Sio Café in the city.

There they met the Albanian woman, who was celebrating her birthday with some of her friends.

At some point during the evening, Robinho walked back home with his wife before rejoining his friends at the club where they began drinking with the woman.

The woman says Robinho, who would be celebrating his own birthday three days later, and his friends forced her to drink until she was nearly unconscious.

It was then that they took her to a private locker room where Robinho and Falco sexually assaulted her while the other four men watched.

Robinho has repeatedly denied the allegations, claiming that the sex was consensual and that his only regret is being unfaithful to his wife Vivian (pictured together)

Robinho has repeatedly denied the allegations, claiming that the sex was consensual and that his only regret is being unfaithful to his wife Vivian (pictured together)

Robinho and Falco then “shared” the woman with the other four men, Italian media reported at the time.

The sportsman was arrested in 2014 and questioned about the allegations. He admitted to having oral sex with the woman, but claimed it was consensual.

After questioning, police tapped Robinho’s phones and recorded conversations bragging about the attack with his friends.

During the investigation, four friends of Robinho’s, who were allegedly involved in the attack but have never been identified, left the country for Brazil.

The same year, Robinho left Italy to return to play for his boys’ club Santos, and Falco also left the country.

The couple were tried in absentia in November 2017 and found guilty of rape, with the judges handing down a nine-year prison sentence.

During the sentencing hearing, the judges made it clear that “contempt” for the victim shown in wiretapped telephone conversations was an aggravating factor.

“Particular negative emphasis should be placed on the tone and expressions used when commenting on the events, describing the girl with demeaning swear words and often in rude and contemptuous terms,” ​​they said.

At the time of the attack, 28-year-old Robinho was playing in Serie A for AC Milan (pictured), but returned to Brazil before the charges went to court.

At the time of the attack, 28-year-old Robinho was playing in Serie A for AC Milan (pictured), but returned to Brazil before the charges went to court.

“The defendants even laughed several times during the event, emphasizing an absolute disregard for the victim’s condition, who was subjected to repeated humiliations, as well as acts of sexual violence from particularly invasive abuses.”

The couple has also been ordered to jointly pay the woman $73,000 in damages.

The footballer made it through the academy of Brazilian club Santos, where he was often compared to Pele as one of the best prospects they had produced.

He played for Real Madrid and Manchester City before being loaned to Milan between 2013 and 2014, and was also capped for his country.

After the allegations against him in Italy came up, he went back to Brazil and also spent time playing in Turkey.

In 2020, he returned to Santos where he would start his career playing for minimum wage.

But Santos was forced to cancel the contract amid outrage over the rape case, which saw a major sponsor drop his support for the club.

In an interview shortly after the club tore his contract, Robinho continued to deny the rape allegation. He said his only regret of the night is that he was unfaithful to his wife Vivian.

Asked about the pressure that had led Santos to tear up his contract, he replied, “Unfortunately, there is this feminist movement.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.