Australia

Jay Slater’s family ‘in the dark’ after police call off search following ‘PR stunt’ – they’re urged to use GoFundMe money to hire ‘experts’ and amateur sleuths who claim to have found new lead

Amateur detectives who have taken over the search for Jay Slater claim they have discovered a new clue that could explain what happened to him.

Yesterday, Spanish police announced they were ending the search for a missing 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer from Lancashire, but the case remains open.

His “disappointed” family have criticised authorities for calling off the search after 14 days and have called for help from TikTok sleuths who continue to search the mountainous area of ​​north-west Tenerife.

TikTok climber Paul Arnott29, who has been Assisting Jay’s family since police concluded their investigation, MailOnline reported that sunglasses similar to those Jay was last seen wearing were found near the spot where his mobile phone last pinged.

The video, which has since been deleted, shows broken black sunglasses lying on the ground near the Mirador viewpoint, in the area where his phone was last traced in the Rural de Teno Park, near the village of Masca.

Amateur sleuths who have taken over the search for Jay Slater claim they have found a pair of sunglasses that could belong to the missing teenager. Pictured: the teenager the day before he went missing

Amateur sleuths who have taken over the search for Jay Slater claim they have found a pair of sunglasses that could belong to the missing teenager. Pictured: the teenager the day before he went missing

A sleuth has claimed that sunglasses believed to belong to missing raver Jay Slater have been found on a remote mountain in Tenerife

The video, which has since been removed, shows a pair of broken black sunglasses lying on the ground near the Mirador viewpoint, in the area where his phone was last tracked in the Rural de Teno Park near the village of Masca.

The video, which has since been removed, shows a pair of broken black sunglasses lying on the ground near the Mirador viewpoint, in the area where his phone was last tracked in the Rural de Teno Park near the village of Masca.

Jay's desperate family have called in a TikTok detective - Paul Arnott (pictured). He has dismissed a police investigation into his TikTok account as a 'PR exercise'

Jay’s desperate family has called in the help of a TikTok sleuth: Paul Arnott (pictured). He has labeled a police investigation on his TikTok account a ‘PR exercise’

Jay's mother Debbie Duncan has said she is praying her son doesn't

Jay’s mother Debbie Duncan has said she is praying her son doesn’t “come back in a body bag.” They are pictured here together

Jay's father Warren flew to the Spanish island with Jay's mother Debbie and some of his friends

Jay’s father Warren flew to the Spanish island with Jay’s mother Debbie and some of his friends

Warren Slater (right), 58, and his son Zak (left), 24, pictured alongside volunteers at the remote mountain site outside the village of Masca where Jay's cell phone last pinged

Warren Slater (right), 58, and his son Zak (left), 24, pictured with volunteers at the remote mountain site outside the village of Masca where Jay’s cell phone last pinged

Despite a search involving dogs, drones, helicopters and mountain rescue teams, no trace of Jay has been found

Despite a search with dogs, drones, helicopters and mountain rescue teams, no trace of Jay has been found

Missing raver Jay Slater, 19, went missing after a night out in Tenerife's Playa de las Americas resort on June 17

Missing raver Jay Slater, 19, went missing after a night out at the Playa de las Americas resort in Tenerife on June 17

The 29-year-old, who runs the TikTok account Down the Rapids and describes himself as an 'explorer', has been looking for Jay since Saturday.  Since then, he has posted more than 70 videos, racking up millions of views

The 29-year-old, who runs the TikTok account Down the Rapids and describes himself as an “explorer,” has been searching for Jay since Saturday, posting more than 70 videos since then, racking up millions of views

Family members were given the sunglasses, which were found by a soldier who goes by the name Chris only and lives on the Spanish holiday island.

Paul told MailOnline: ‘There have been a number of new developments and these sunglasses could be the key.

“They were found by an army man called Chris who lives here. I don’t want to go into too much detail yet, but the family have them and are looking at them.

“They could be Jay’s, they look very similar to the ones he has and we’ll wait and see. It could be very important.’

The alleged discovery comes on day 14 of the search as:

Mr Arnott, an adventurer and mountaineer from Banning, Bedfordshire, cancelled a charity fundraiser last week to fly to Tenerife to take part in the search and rescue operation.

The self-proclaimed explorer, who shares videos of his own quest on TikTok, has received support from Jay’s family, who he says are “very proud” of his efforts.

After Spanish officials called off the search yesterday, he told MailOnline: ‘The police say they have searched everywhere but I’m not happy about that.

‘If they had looked everywhere they would have found him, but they didn’t and I’m convinced he’s on that mountain.

“I’ve been to ridges and canyons where they haven’t been before, and now I want to check out two more canyons.

Police focused their search on a ravine further into the national park, also searching caves near Los Carrizales

Police focused their search on a ravine further into the national park, also exploring caves near Los Carrizales

“They say they’ve looked everywhere, but I don’t think that’s the case and that’s why I’m continuing.”

Mr Arnott also revealed he had refused help from Jay’s family, saying: ‘They are so wonderful and lovely. They just want to find Jay and I want to help them.

‘They keep offering to pay for my food and accommodation, but I keep saying no. I don’t want anything and I don’t want anything from the Go Fund Me site.

‘I would like to set up a private fund to get a team from the Scottish Mountain Rescue Service out here.’

Speaking on ITV’s This Morning programme, he said: ‘There were a lot of people out but I only saw four actually searching.

“The rest of the people are standing on the side of the road, blocking paths and trying to stop news reporters from entering certain areas.

The four people searching are doing a good job of searching the trails.

“They’re a little off-grid, as far as I can tell, but the rest of it is still there.”

Today it was announced that Spanish authorities say there is “no current evidence of criminality” in the Jay Slater case.

The female investigating judge who is being kept informed of developments has been told that the Guardia Civil currently sees nothing to indicate that Jay is the victim of a crime.

As is standard procedure in Spain, police report to a court that has opened a routine judicial investigation and has refused to comment on what they are doing behind the scenes as part of a “parallel investigation” that has continued despite the end of the trial and the visible mountain search.

A search took place in Masca on Saturday, with local police asking for volunteers to help in the search for Jay Slater

A search took place in Masca on Saturday, with local police asking for volunteers to help in the search for Jay Slater

Yesterday morning, the mountainside at Masca, where search crews had been gathered for two weeks after Spanish police announced they were suspending their search for the missing apprentice mason, was quiet.

Yesterday morning, the mountainside at Masca, where search crews had been gathered for two weeks after Spanish police announced they were suspending their search for the missing apprentice mason, was quiet.

A judicial source, speaking on condition of anonymity as is usual in Spain, said: ‘There is no evidence of criminality in this case at this stage.

“That’s not to say that things won’t change, because the case remains open and investigations are ongoing. But right now, that’s the situation.”

Another said: ‘This missing persons case has been judicially processed as is normal in Spain and has been submitted to the Court of Instruction Number One in Icod de los Vinos.

‘The Guardia Civil does not have to tell the judge everything the officers do, but they do keep her informed of the progress of the case and of course of important developments.’

In line with the revelation that the Jay Slater investigation is currently being treated as a missing persons inquiry and not a criminal case, officials have confirmed that investigating judge Maria Goya has not declared it “secret” in order to protect the judicial process.

An order called “secreto de sumario” in Spanish is often applied to a criminal investigation that is still in its infancy, preventing even lawyers and prosecutors from accessing the files.

Such orders also prevent government officials from revealing details of violations files that carry heavy fines.

Judges who keep their investigations secret while cases are still in their infancy are acting out of a desire to avoid jeopardy by minimizing the risk of leaks.

The legal source said: “The Jay Slater case opened at the court in Icod de los Vinos is not covered by a confidentiality order.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button