Lindt cafe at the center of deadly Sydney siege to close after falling victim to pandemic

December 15, 8:33 a.m.: Man Haron Monis entered the Lindt Cafe, ate chocolate cake and tea, then moved to a table overlooking the entire cafe.

9.03am: Monis asked to speak to the manager and Tori Johnson joined him at the table.

Mr Johnson told an employee to get the keys and lock the doors, after which Monis donned a vest and bandana before standing up and taking out the gun.

Monis told the cafe he had a bomb and ordered everyone inside to move to the front of the cafe before forcing hostages to hold a flag.

9.44am: Monis forced Mr Johnson to call triple-zero and tells police the cafe is under attack and there are bombs in Martin Place, Circular Quay and George Street (this was later revealed to be untrue).

9.51 am: Police arrive at the scene.

9:52 a.m.: The tactical operations unit acknowledges the emergency and goes to the cafe.

12 noon: Monis forced hostages to call media across the country and act as his spokesperson.

Hostages called newsrooms from 2GB, Nine, Seven and Ten, as well as the ABC and News Corp.

He became furious when he realized that his messages were not being broadcast by the media.

3:37 PM: After six hours, hostages Stefan Balafoutis and John O’Brien asked to go to the toilet and tried their luck by opening the front door with a button at the base.

The men seized their chance and sprinted to safety while Monis concentrated on talking to hostages closer to him.

Shortly after, Lindt supervisor Paolo Vassallo escaped through a fire door.

4:57 PM: Two employees, Elly Chen and Bae Jieun, ran out of the cafe within seconds of each other.

Midnight: Shortly after midnight, videos from the cafe were uploaded to the internet. A total of four videos have been uploaded.

December 16, 2 a.m.: Monis became agitated and shuffled around the hostages when seven hostages fired at a door and kicked it down.

The group was seen on the run minutes before police stormed the cafe with flash grenades and live ammunition.

The firefight was over in just 30 seconds before police and emergency personnel saw the cafe leaving the cafe with wounded hostages.

Katrina Dawson was shot and paramedics tried their best to keep her alive, but she died on the sidewalk.

Tori Johnson, cafe manager, is said to have been shot in the head by Monis during the siege.

The police managed to kill Monis when they stormed the cafe.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button