Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Man doing yard work is airlifted to hospital after drilling through underground electricity cable

0

Man doing chores in his front yard, is airlifted to hospital after drilling through underground electricity cable

A man was taken to hospital by plane yesterday morning after he drilled an electricity cable while doing odd jobs in his front yard.

The man from Swindon, Wiltshire, was drilling the ground outside his home when he received a massive electric shock after accidentally hitting a live electrical cable.

The shock caused the man to go into cardiac arrest, which led to significant emergency relief.

Emergency services were called shortly after 9.40am and were quickly on the scene, including two trauma helicopters, one of which took the man to hospital.

Police, fire and rescue services and ambulance personnel were all on the scene in Wiltshire yesterday

The remains of the drill, charred by electricity, could still stick out of the ground after the incident ended

The remains of the drill, charred by electricity, could still stick out of the ground after the incident ended

The incident was over at 11 a.m. yesterday morning (June 3).

Wiltshire Air Ambulance, Thames Valley Air Ambulance, a BASICS doctor and two ambulance service Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART) were on hand alongside 999 local emergency personnel.

A BASICS doctor, or British Association for Immediate Care doctor, is a member of the organization of the same name that can provide specialist pre-hospital emergency care.

Two ambulances, an ambulance officer, two fire engines and the Wiltshire Police were also present.

Once stabilized on site, Thames Valley Air Ambulance transferred the patient to Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

Local electricity officials also had to be called after the accident led to a local power outage

Local electricity officials also had to be called after the accident led to a local power outage

The do-it-yourself accident caused the man to go into cardiac arrest, but emergency services were able to stabilize him on the spot

The do-it-yourself accident caused the man to go into cardiac arrest, but emergency services were able to stabilize him on the spot

The incident led to a local power outage, which was later repaired by West and West Utilities.

The burnt-out drill used by the man was charred by the electricity in the garden after the incident.

A spokesman for the Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Brigade said: ‘We were called to Whitbourne Avenue, Park North at 9:42 am this morning after a man had drilled through a power line.

“Two crews were present, from Stratton and Westlea.

‘Our stop was at 11 a.m., when the victim was transported to the hospital by air ambulance.’

It is recommended to use an earth leakage circuit breaker or circuit breaker with all electrical appliances when working outdoors.

RCDs can prevent the user of electrical equipment from receiving an electric shock if they touch or cut an electrical cable.

Advertisement

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.