Mums Who Clean: Australian woman reveals how to clean incendiary fluff lurking in dryer’s fan

The warning everyone should read: Mom reveals where ‘secret fluff’ lurk in your dryer — and how to get to the potential fire hazard in seconds

  • A mom revealed where ‘secret fluff’ could be lurking in your dryer
  • She was concerned when her ALDI machine started to smell like burning
  • The woman was not aware that dust and debris could collect in the rear fan










One mom revealed where “secret fluff” could be lurking in your dryer — and an easy way to reach the potential fire hazard in seconds.

The woman shared her discovery on the Australian Facebook group, Mums Who Clean, and told members she was urged to investigate after she was concerned about a burning smell coming from her 4.5kg Aldi machine.

While she regularly cleaned the front of the dryer, she said she didn’t know that dust and grime could collect in the fan at the back.

If left unchecked, lint build-up can cause a fire by increasing the temperature in the drum. It is one of the leading causes of house fires around the world.

While she regularly cleaned the front of the dryer, the mom said she didn’t know that dust and debris could collect in the fan at the back

“I accessed this fan through the back of my dryer, I took off the back plate, took off the belts, stabilizer and rear drum plates, there was a lot of profanity,” the mother wrote.

“I took pictures of how everything was put together so I would know how to put it back together. The bolt broke from over-tightening the nut when I reassembled it.’

In 2020, the NSW Regional Fire Service issued a warning about the dangers of uncleaned dry fluff.

The RFS called on Australians to clean fluff after every load, claiming it’s one of the top 10 reasons your home could go up in flames.

If left unchecked, lint build-up can cause a fire by increasing the temperature in the drum;  it is one of the leading causes of household fires around the world

If left unchecked, lint build-up can cause a fire by increasing the temperature in the drum; it is one of the leading causes of household fires around the world

Photos of the mother’s fluff-laden unit sparked a wave of shock, with many commenting how lucky she was to have found it when she did.

“That’s a huge fire hazard. This is a much better result than what could have been,” one woman wrote.

“Wow, that was a fire waiting to happen. I’ll have to look at mine now,” said a second.

Meanwhile, a third wrote: ‘You’re very lucky you didn’t catch fire. I personally know two people whose house fires have started from their dryers.”

Photos of the mom's fluff-laden unit sparked a wave of shock, with many commenting how lucky she was to have found it when she did.

Photos of the mom’s fluff-laden unit sparked a wave of shock, with many commenting how lucky she was to have found it when she did.

Others saw the dirt for something completely different.

‘O lord! I thought they were rats!” a woman replied.

“OMG, I thought they were mice,” said another, while a third added, “I thought they were a bunch of dead rats.”

Advertisement

.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button