© 2022 - USMAIL24.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Kangaroos Brent Harvey has revealed the crippling impact the alleged Hawks racism scandal has already had on the struggling AFL club.
The future of incoming boss Alastair Clarkson – who signed a five-year contract last month to take over as head coach of Arden St from November 1 – is now uncertain amid allegations that he pressured a native Hawthorn player to let his partner go that far. get him to break their contract. unborn child.
Clarkson, 54, has refuted the explosive allegations set around his time in charge of Hawthorn, where he won four premierships.
The allegations of racism were detailed Wednesday in an ABC report, which claimed they were part of an investigation commissioned by Hawthorn earlier this year.
Among the many accusations made by unnamed former Hawthorn players was Clarkson and former assistant coach Chris Fagan telling a player and his partner to terminate their pregnancy and break up so the player could focus on football.
Clarkson and Fagan have both vehemently denied the charges, and the case will now be the subject of an independent investigation launched by the AFL.
Kangaroos club’s Brent ‘Boomer’ Harvey has revealed the crippling impact the alleged Hawks racism scandal has already had on the AFL club
The future of incoming boss Alastair Clarkson – who signed a five-year contract last month to take over as head coach at Arden St from November 1 – is now uncertain due to abortion allegations that surfaced this week from his time at Hawthorn
Legal experts believe Hawthorn will be taken to court if the allegations prove true.
Speaking at RSN Breakfast Club on Friday, Harvey – who played his entire 432 game AFL career with the Kangaroos and won a premiership in 1999 – admitted that uncertainty has plagued the club.
“We literally don’t know. We are in the dark at the moment,” the current assistant coach said of how the club is handling Clarkson’s situation.
“So it’s going to be interesting going forward. No.1, how the football club reacts and No.2, what we do as a coaching group, because we are already two short. We’ve already got rid of two coaches and we haven’t added one yet.’
He continued: ‘We know what we’re going to do. The show continues. We are one coach short and we are going to follow a preparation for the season. A few coaches will have to resign, myself included. I’m part-time, maybe I should do a little more.’
The club’s coaching staff are being tipped to meet in early November to prepare for the season, but whether Clarkson will be at the helm remains to be seen.
Clarkson has categorically denied the allegations as his new role at North Melbourne has been put on ice as the AFL conducts an independent investigation
On Thursday, Fagan – who was Clarkson’s assistant with the Hawks – released a statement expressing his shock at the harrowing allegations and stated that he looks forward to being “heard” during the AFL’s investigation.
It follows a disastrous season on the pitch where the club won just two games and ended up with the wooden spoon.
After the poor results, North Melbourne fired football boss Dan McPherson, as well as assistant coaches Heath Younie and Anthony Rocca.
If and when Clarkson’s tenure begins, the club will have had four senior coaches in 24 months: Rhyce Shaw, David Noble, Leigh Adams and the controversial Clarkson.
Both Clarkson and Fagan have released statements in recent days outlining their innocence over the charges of racism.
“The health, care and wellbeing of our players, staff and their families have always been my top priorities during my time at Hawthorn Football Club,” Clarkson said.
“I was therefore shocked by the extremely serious allegations reported in the media. I was not interviewed by the authors of the report on behalf of the club, nor did I receive a copy of the report.
“I was not given a fair trial and I am refuting any allegation of wrongdoing or misconduct and look forward to the opportunity to be heard as part of the AFL’s outside investigation.
“I have contacted the president of North Melbourne Football Club and we have mutually agreed that I will relinquish my responsibilities at the club so that I can fully cooperate with the investigation.”
An assistant coach at Hawthorn has reportedly confirmed some of the shocking claims First Nations players have made in the club’s external review about racism (photo, Clarkson and Fagan together in 2015)
Fagan also categorically denies allegations of assault against Indigenous players when he was Clarkson’s winger with the Hawks.
“I was shocked and deeply saddened by the allegations reported in the media about my time at Hawthorn Football Club,” Fagan said on Thursday.
“I categorically deny allegations of wrongdoing by me regarding First Nations players at Hawthorn Football Club. I have had very positive relationships with First Nations players over my many years in football, and indeed with players of different racial and ethnic groups.
“I did not have the opportunity and in no way participated in the assessment commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club. I have not been interviewed. I was not invited for an interview either. No one involved in the review has ever charged me for comment.
‘I intend to defend myself. I hope people will judge me by the way I actually behave and not by what’s in the media. I support and welcome the investigation announced by the AFL. I intend to participate fully in the investigation and look forward to being heard and given a fair trial and fairness.
“In the meantime, the Brisbane Lions Football Club and I have agreed that I will take a leave of absence from the club.”