Prince Andrew fears ‘complete financial ruin’ over his civil sexual abuse case

Prince Andrew fears ‘complete financial ruin’ in his sexual abuse civil suit as legal bills mount and a potential £10m settlement with prosecutor Virginia Giuffre hangs over him

  • Duke of York’s attorney’s fees are currently at least £2million as costs rise
  • The disgraced duke was stripped of his military titles and patronages on Thursday
  • Andrew is in talks with his lawyers in the UK and US for a deadline










Prince Andrew is beginning to fear ‘complete financial ruin’ as charges mount amid his pending civil sexual abuse case.

The Duke of York’s attorney fees are currently at least £2million and legal experts believe he may have to pay £10million to his prosecutor Virginia Giuffre to avoid the case going to court.

The disgraced duke was stripped of his military titles and remaining royal patronages after a 30-minute audience with the queen on Thursday.

Today Andrew is in talks with his lawyers in the UK and US as Ms Giuffre’s team responds to a 6pm deadline regarding her housing arrangements, according to The Mirror.

It is believed Andrew’s team is arguing that the case cannot be taken in a US federal court because Ms. Giuffre, 38, has lived in Australia since 2002.

Ms Giuffre has claimed that Andrew had sex with her three times when she was just 17.

The Duke of York’s attorney fees are currently at least £2million and legal experts believe he may have to pay £10million to his prosecutor Virginia Giuffre to avoid the case going to court

Andrew, who denies the allegation, has complained to friends about the financial fallout of the case, adding that he fears being left insolvent.

A royal source said: ‘Until recently, the absolute enormity of this case and the repercussions he faces did not seem to have affected him (Andrew).

“Now the bills are piling up and the possibility of a settlement, or worse, a verdict against him is widely discussed; he fears complete financial ruin.

“There is a very real prospect that he is completely broke.”

A spokesman for the Duke of York declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.

It is clear that the Queen “will not assist” her son in paying a settlement because of the damage it could cause to the Crown’s reputation.

After the Queen banned him from royal life, Andrew had to fight the allegations as a “private citizen”.

A source said senior royals have said Andrew “went off the road” following a New York judge’s decision to overturn the Duke’s latest attempt to stop a full civil trial.

It is clear that the Queen

It is clear that the Queen “will not assist” her son in paying a settlement because of the damage it could cause to the Crown’s reputation. Pictured, Prince Andrew with Virginia Giuffre in London in 2001

Andrew, who denies the allegation, has complained to friends about the financial fallout of the case, adding that he fears being left insolvent

Andrew, who denies the allegation, has complained to friends about the financial fallout of the case, adding that he fears being left insolvent

Prince Andrew is now rushing to sell a £17million Swiss chalet amid mounting debt. He still owes a £6 million payment to a French socialite whose alpine mansion he bought in 2014.

Sources close to the duke said he would “continue to fight to clear his name.”

Meanwhile, it was revealed that Andrew had been given just two hours’ notice on Thursday to attend a face-to-face meeting with the Queen, with the Duke being “fully aware of what was to come.”

It has also been confirmed Andrew will not lose his security details, following speculation about how he would afford to fund the £300,000-a-year team.

It has been suggested that the Queen would pay the costs privately if necessary.

Advertisement

.