Latest Breaking News & Hot Updates Around USA OR All Over World

Senior living woman in California dies after drinking dish soap

0 139

A dementia-stricken woman died after the California retirement home where she lived accidentally served her dish soap instead of juice, the house said.

The woman was one of three residents of Atria Park Senior Living Facility in San Mateo who was rushed to hospital after drinking the corrosive liquid, That reports KRON-TV.

The workers involved have been suspended as the house is investigating internally and cooperating with local authorities, the facility said.

“We have been working with local authorities, who have informed us that a resident has died,” Atria said in a statement to the station. “Our sincere condolences go out to the family.”

The resident who died was Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell, her daughter told a news channel.

A source told NBC Bay Area the inedible liquid may have been confused with grape juice.

“There may have been a mistake,” the source involved in the investigation told the local NBC affiliate. “A jug of grape juice is what someone thought they picked up and poured into glasses, but it was some sort of cleaning fluid. .”

The victim’s daughter, Marcia Cutchin, told local television that her mother Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell was the dead resident.

She said the retirement home had told her family that the substance given to her mother was an “alkaline cleaning solution that eats protein.”

Maxwell suffers from dementia and was unable to feed himself, Cutchin said. When her mother arrived at the hospital, she had “severe blistering of her mouth, throat and esophagus,” Cutchin said.

“A lot of people, like my mom, have to put a cup in her mouth and put it in her mouth,” Cutchin told KRON-TV.

The television station reported that the San Mateo police were investigating and had no additional information.

Maxwell leaves behind eight children and 20 grandchildren.

With Post wires

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.