‘Perfectly healthy’ student has seizure after inhaling ‘huge dose’ of nicotine while vaping in school toilets
- Blue Mountains Grammar student had seizures from excessive vaping
- School confirmed student was otherwise ‘perfectly healthy’ in stark warning
- Experts say some vapes have an equivalent nicotine level of 10 packs of cigarettes
- Federal government announced a ban on nicotine-based vaping in October
- Decision has sparked an influx of black market vapes that have been imported and sold
A ‘perfectly healthy’ teen has had a seizure from a massive dose of nicotine while vaping in his school’s toilets.
The student was rushed to hospital after being found in Blue Mountains Grammar, west of Sydney, and has recovered, but may have long-term brain damage.
Deputy principal and high school principal Owen Laffin told parents in a letter last week about the student’s seizure.
A Blue Mountains Grammar student had a seizure in the school toilets after consuming large amounts of nicotine from vaping
“Last week, an otherwise healthy senior student collapsed in the toilets, suffered a prolonged seizure and was taken to hospital by ambulance after using a vape,” he wrote.
“Medical evidence suggests that the attack was caused by a massive dose of nicotine.
“While I am immensely grateful to say that the student has now recovered, the risk of head injury or brain damage caused by hypoxia is terrible to consider.”
Mr Laffin acknowledged that the school had ongoing problems with e-cigarettes and urged parents to discuss this with their children.
“I’m writing to our entire community today to highlight the extraordinary dangers of vaping and to urge parents to discuss them with your children,” he wrote.
Australian National University epidemiologist Emily Banks said some disposable vapes contain the nicotine from 10 packs of cigarettes.
“Those disposable devices are very strong and contain high doses of nicotine,” she told the… Sydney Morning Herald†
‘People feel sick, they can vomit, light-headed. The attacks are what people are most concerned about. There’s been a single case of people with heart rhythm problems – it’s one of the documented dangers.”
There are even known cases of vaping use during cardiac arrest.
The federal government banned imports of nicotine-based vapes in October last year, but they’ve done little to bend the products entering Australia
About 11 percent of Australians between the ages of 16 and 24 consider themselves regular vape users, double that of 2020.
A black market for vapes and e-cigarettes took off after the federal government banned the import and sale of nicotine-based vapes in October over concerns about the chemicals used in the products.
Since October 1, a prescription from the general practitioner is required to legally import and buy e-cigarettes.
The decision was widely scrutinized at the time and experts suggested it will do little to stop the extensive use of vaping in Australia.
There are approximately 700,000 vapers in Australia, making it one of the most lucrative markets for manufacturers and distributors in the world.