© 2022 - USMAIL24.COM. All Rights Reserved.
A woman has gone viral after unknowingly filmed her body going into anaphylactic shock — claiming she was minutes away from dying.
Madison Lewis, 23, a customer success engineer, from Los Angeles, remembers the moment her organs “shut down” after a severe allergic reaction to medication.
In 2015, she began to suffer from a range of worrisome symptoms, including a numb body, swollen joints and temporary facial paralysis. She decided to seek medical advice and in October 2016 she was diagnosed with Lyme disease, a bacterial infection spread through ticks.
In an effort to treat the condition, she was given multiple antibiotics, but soon her whole body felt like it was “on fire” and her lips began to turn blue.
Last month, a concerned Madison documented the symptoms in a TikTok — which now has 3.9 million views — just before she had to be rushed to the emergency room.
She initially filmed the clips after worrying about the excessive itching and swelling of her body. A caption in the video explained that she went into anaphylactic shock “right after” they were taken and that her boyfriend took her to the hospital.
A woman who unconsciously filmed herself in anaphylactic shock claims she was minutes from death when her organs “shut down.” Madison Lewis (pictured right on a previous trip to the hospital), 23, of Los Angeles, recalled her “lips turning blue,” with clips capturing her skin turning bright red
The customer success engineer (pictured), who was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2016, explained that she was given multiple antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection
“I was minutes away from having to be intubated to make sure I still had an airway to breathe,” Madison claimed. “My lips turned blue and all the blood in my body rose to the top of my skin, instead of circulating properly to my organs.
“All my major organs were temporarily without blood flow until the Epipen and steroids calmed things down.”
Madison explained that she wasn’t too concerned at first because she’d had reactions before where she developed hives. However, it soon became clear that this was a different beast.
“I had an unpleasant itch and within minutes my hands were bright red and felt like they were on fire,” she said. “The rest of my body started to itch terribly and it felt like my whole body was swelling up.”
“I started to worry when I realized how fast it was spreading and how weird I felt.
“I knew something was really wrong when every minute that passed I felt myself getting worse.”
In the TikTok, Madison can be seen covered in bright red hives, showing the spread of the reaction.
Madison (pictured left during her response, and right, before) explained that she wasn’t too concerned at first as she’d had reactions before where she broke out in hives
The TikTok shows Madison covered in bright red hives showing the spread of the reaction
Madison says she went into anaphylactic shock after the video was filmed (pictured)
The reaction spread through her body. Madison said: ‘I knew something was really wrong when I felt every minute that I was getting worse’
She told the camera, “I’m having a crazy allergic reaction right now.”
Users rushed to the comments to share their concerns, and many spoke of their own terrifying experiences.
One viewer wrote: ‘Girl I saw those blue lips and almost called 911 for you!!!!’ “BUY THE EPI PEN STAT,” another person added.
Another user said: ‘Anaphylactic shock is nothing to play with girl. I’ve been there twice, nearly dead both times.’
‘Brother!!!! Next time this happens, call 911 immediately or drive to the emergency room, skip the video part,” said another.
A caption in the video said she went into anaphylactic shock “right after” the clips were shot, and her boyfriend rushed her to the emergency room. Madison (pictured left and right in the emergency room) now wants to raise awareness of the condition
Madison in the picture with her boyfriend, who rushed her to the emergency room after she had an allergic reaction
Madison said she had been a student athlete before her Lyme disease diagnosis in 2016 and began to suffer from a range of troubling symptoms, including body numbness, joint swelling and temporary facial paralysis.
After failing the standard test, where she was unable to make it onto the field, Madison decided to seek medical advice – which resulted in her having to retire.
She said: ‘I had to retire from my sports career and go into Lyme disease treatment full-time.
Users rushed to the comments to share their concerns, and many shared their own terrifying experiences
“It’s very scary and very serious. It affects all aspects of your body in different ways and some of the worst symptoms include constant fatigue, brain fog, cognitive decline, sensitivity to light and extreme anxiety.
‘I also suffer from muscle weakness, nausea and temperature regulation.’
Madison hopes her ordeal and experience will raise awareness of the “invisible disease.”
“Awareness for anaphylactic shock is crucial and healing from an illness or not, your body can become allergic to anything,” she added.
‘As for Lyme disease, people need to be aware of the adverse effects it has on a person’s life.
Madison (pictured before her diagnosis, right) before her 2016 diagnosis with Lyme disease — a bacterial infection spread by ticks — said she had been a student athlete
“It’s a growing problem every year and it’s a debilitating disease that will change your life forever if you don’t get treated right after infection.
“I love documenting everything about my health journey so people know they’re not alone if they go through something similar.
Documenting my journey has always been important to me as I have learned so much through healing from a chronic illness and I know how alone you can feel. Never give up and always stay strong.’
WHAT IS LYME DISEASE?
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium that is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected black-legged ticks.
The most common symptoms of the disease are fever, headache, fatigue, and a rash called erythema migrans.
The disease can usually be treated with a few weeks of oral antibiotics.
But if left untreated, the infection can spread to the joints, heart and nervous symptoms and be fatal.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ARE INFECTED?
During the first three to 30 days of infection, these symptoms may appear:
- A fever
- Muscle and joint pain
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Erythema migrans (EM) rash
The rash occurs in about 80 percent of infected people.
It can expand up to 12 inches (30 cm), eventually clearing and giving the appearance of a target or a ‘bull’s eye’.
Later Lyme disease symptoms include:
- Severe headache and neck stiffness
- Extra result
- Arthritis with joint pain and swelling
- Facial or Bell’s palsy
- Short-term memory problems
- nerve pain